austin knight advertising
Steve Garson worked at
Austin Knight Advertising
Marketing and Advertising
05/12/1986 - 07/1992
San Rafael, July of 1987 office moved to Sausalito, CA
• New York USA HQ
• Los Angeles Branch
• Seattle Branch
Photo web pages
• 1986 • 1987 • 1988 • 1989 • 1990 • 1991 • 1992
AK LA office. George, 2nd from the left, was my counter part in the LA office. This was a program he put together with LA office AE's. If I remember right that is his wife on the left with their child. George and I were on the bleeding edge of the digital revolution that was hitting creative departments. We traded ideas a lot with a bit of inter-office rivalry thrown in.
AK San Rafael floor plan. May 1986
Staff - May 1986
• Cyndi Allen - AC
• Geri Ayers - Media / Marketing
• Isabel Baker - Accounting Mgr
• Gayla Black - VP
Gayla opened the AK Seattle office.
• Diane Chase - Accounting
• Elanor Curtis - Office Mgr? Supplies
• Eileen Dunn - AS (Account Superv.)
• Steve Garson - AD
• Fern Greer - AE
• Helen Harrison - Accounting
• Nigel Hartley - VP (from England HQ)
• Tim Johnson - PA (Production Artist)
• Carol McEwen - PM (Production Mgr)
• Gail Miyoshi - AE
• Doug Moss - AC
• Marcie Nakamini - PA (Prod. Artist)
• Donna Polman - AE
• Barbara Shaw - VP
• Valerie Smith - Copywriter
• Pat Thompson - AE
• Charlene Wasley - AC
• Mary Wasley - Tearsheets
• Clarissa Welsh - Copy Chief
• Kathie Wise - AC
• Cherry Wood - CD
• Denny (Last Name?) - AC
• Hika (Last Name?) - Tearsheets
• Ruth (Last Name?) - Receptionist
Back to top
• Roger Boss – AE
09/1988 – 09/1991
• Linda Corwin - PA (Prod. Artist)
• John Disbrow - CD
We are all trying to find the whereabouts of John – John are you out there?
• Tania Ortega - Typesetting Mgr 07/27/1987 -
• Jim Stoch - AE
1987 – 1990 (3 years)
• Adam Zakin - PA (Prod. Artist)
• Sabine Lenz – Designer/Digital Production Artist and Advisor
Back to top
New York HQ Office
• Tim Gibbons - President
• Joe Rigo – Sr. Vice President Creative Services 1979 — 1994 (15 years) 030908rev030908 www.linkedin.com/pub/6/5b8/236
• Michael Albert – VP, Branch Manager, National Sales Director
1988 — 1991
Also at the AK LA branch
• More on Miichael Albert...
Back to top
Los Angeles Office
• Barbara Storm
1985 – 1990?
• Now with the Strategic Recruiting Team at Intel
• George Evans
?? - ??
1601 5th, Seattle, WA 98101
Gayla Black went up to Seattle to open this AK branch. She moved to Issaquah, WA just west of Seattle in a beautiful wooded area.
Back to top
• Back to main work page
• 04/06/86 See recruitment ad
• 04/??/86 Interview
• 04/??/86 Hired
• 04/25/86 Resign from BSA
• 05/12/86 Begin AK
• 05/??/86 Cherry sick
• 07/87 Office moved to Sausalito
• 07/27/87 Hire Tania Ortega
• 07/??/92 Leave AK
• 04/1997 AK aquired by TMP Worldwide (Monster.com)
TMP Worldwide, (TMP) (Owner of Monster.com Link 1 2) acquired Austin Knight Advertising in April 1997
"They ran briefly as separate companies and then TMP absorbed the staff and accounts." Joe Rigo
• HQ in NY
• Nearest Office:
San Francisco Area 799 Market Street 8th Floor San Francisco CA 94103 415-820-7800 • 051207
My AK Story
See AK recruitment ad.
The ad that I saw in the Sunday 04/06/1986 SF Chronicle that got me the AK job as Art Director.
Note: Company was originally called (Joanne) Sobel Advertising and then Sobel Knight Advertising when I came on board.
Interview at AK
... with Cherry Wood who eventually hired me. I remember that it was way up in the north end of San Rafael near Lucas Valley Rd. on the east side of the freeway in some low non-discript office buildings. The office was was like someones dumpy living room. Some cute blonde was asleep on a couch in the central AC room. Cherry had an office toward the back. When I came in she rifled through a stack of papers to find my resume - it was a mess. From what she showed me she was doing was very creative work. I briefly met the art department staff. I was excited and wanted to get on-board!
• 04/??/86 Hired
Resigned from BSA.
Trained Fernando Paez into my position at BSA. I told BSA staff I was going to work with a friend, Susan Thompson in her San Francisco graphic design studio. A bit devious but gave me an opportunity to train up Fernando properly without leaving them in the lerch. Also was able to leave them on friendly terms while going to a competitor.
Start work at AK
About a month into work the lady that hired me, Cherry Wood, comes down sick with Epstein-Barr Virus and knocks her out. From then on she mostly does occasional freelance work from home. I came to AK to work under a pro. a mentor – I had been leading art departments myself since my Hodes days and really missed the additional experience working under a mentor so I missed that Cherry was suddenly out and I was back in charge. Nigel hires John Disbrow from NYC. John wasn't really a management type guy or always the best organized but he had raw artistic talent and heavy agency experience –he was a pro. So I did end up learning a lot from John - his concept and layout skills were at times, simply amazing. And he was always ready with a good joke.
The cat is out of the bag
About a month or two later, after starting at AK... AK Account Supervisor, Eileen Dunn, met Fernando at a San Jose Mercury News event. She thought he looked peculiar - not dressed like the other "suits". She mentioned that Steve Garson was working for them. A surprised Fernando got word back to BSA. Needless to say I got a disappointed call from BSA AE Deborah Rowen. She has always been might favorite sales person/ae of all time. I definitely missed her incredible energy - she was a blast to work with - we fed off each other and grew together in our careers. Deborah, if you're out there somewhere I hope you are doing well!
• 07/27/1987 Hire Tania Ortega to Austin Knight Tania was originally from Puerto Rico. She was short, slightly on the heavier side, beautiful and friendly but she could kick in her latin temper whenever she needed. She became the "law" back in the production dept. and noone messed with her. She was a great asset to myself and the company.
Office was moved from San Rafael to Sausalito (Mill Valley)
100 Shoreline Highway, Bldg B, Mill Valley, CA 94941 415-331-5600
We were now in much nicer, bigger offices and closer to our Silicon Valley clients. Also my commute was now only 10 minutes away from SF : )
Our new cards with our new address – it says Sausalito but we were actually located in Mill Valley. That's because the city name of Sausalito had "cachet" to the inetnational community.
Back to top
To Main Photo Page: